750ml (420g) cake flour
200ml castor sugar
20ml baking powder
6ml bicarbonate of soda
500g mixed berries, frozen or fresh
Grated rind of 1 lemon
420ml buttermilk or plain yoghurt
80 ml sunflower oil
80 ml butter, melted
3 eggs Glace Icing
250ml (130g) icing sugar, sifted+30ml waterred food colouring
Silver balls for decoration
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together. Add the berries and grated lemon rind. Mix through.
- Beat the buttermilk, eggs, oil and butter together until mixed and gradually add to the dry ingredients until a moist dough. Do not over mix, dough can still be lumpy.
- Spoon into the hollows of a 12 hole muffin pan lined with paper muffin cups. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow to rest in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- For Icing: Mix icing sugar, water and a few drops of colouring together to make a smooth paste. Spread on the cooled muffins. Decorate with silver balls.
- Arrange on a serving plate and cover with Glad Style Wrap until served.
- Serve with coffee or as a dessert.